You went all out this year and got the latest ice fishing gadgets and gear. Now you’re ready to get out there and show those fish who’s boss! Just one problem… now you have to haul all that gear out to the ice.
Suddenly it hits you! You were so worried about the other gear that you forgot to get an ice fishing sled! Fear not; for there are many great options available on the market. The hard part is deciding which one to choose. That’s where we come in.
Continue reading to learn about the best ice fishing sleds for getting everything you need onto the ice in one trip.
Our Favorite Ice Fishing Sleds
|Name||Picture||Price||Best Feature||Our rating||Best Price|
|Frabill Aegis 2110 Ice Fishing Sled||$$||flips over into a surprisingly large shelter||9.7/10||See Current Price|
|Ice Hunter Front Door 115||$$$||Jump style seats in a great looking flip over design||9.5/10||See Current Price|
|Shappell JSX Jet Sled||$||Excellent strength in a sled||9.3/10||See Current Price|
|Shappell Camo Ice Fishing Jet Sled||$||Rugged construction in crowd pleasing camo||9.4/10||See Current Price|
|Digger ATV or Snowmobile Tow Hitch Mount||$||Perfect attachment for ATVs and Snowmobiles||9.2/10||See Current Price|
More to a Sled than Meets the Eye
There are many options to choose from, and most of them will get your gear out onto the ice… eventually. Many people will begin by using an inexpensive snow sled from the nearest big box store.
After a few times of pulling an inexpensive sled through rough ice, snow and slush they usually find that sometimes it is better to bite the bullet and pay a little more.
This is because rough terrain can wreak havoc on the bottom of an inexpensive sled and tear it up in no time. The other issue is that a typical snow sled is not very sturdy.
If you are going through the hills and hollers to get to your special ice fishing spot, there is a good chance that your poor sled will not be sturdy enough to keep your fishing gear in place. You may even have to stop multiple times to reload or adjust everything.
If you want to save the time and aggravation associated with using a flimsy traditional snow sled, this next section is for you.
Best Ice Fishing Sleds for Function and Convenience
Summary: This is the cat’s meow! If you are looking to go ice fishing like the rich and famous, this is the sled for you! This specially designed ice fishing sled allows you to carry all of your gear; once you get there it transforms into an ice shelter. The great thing about this particular model is that it is designed for you to bring a buddy along. It has plenty of room for two grown people to fish comfortably.
Additional features of this amazing product include:
- Comes with 2 comfortable seats
- Extremely durable sled made of high-quality super thick plastic to endure the rough terrain
- The flip-down tent has a door with a zipper for easily exiting so you don’t have to keep flipping the tent up every time you want to go outside.
- It is insulated so that your heat does not escape out of the roof
- Lightweight and easy to pull
- The back of the seats fold down and have pockets for storing your gear
- The tent easily folds over and gives you plenty of space to fish while you stay out of the elements. If it’s a nice day simply flip the tent back and fish in the open air.
Summary: If you prefer to hit the ice on your own then this is another high-class way to get your gear where you want it in one trip. This model is designed a little differently since it is made for the solo fisherman or woman; however, it has the same function and features as the previously mentioned ice sled/shelter combo.
Features of this individual sled/shelter include:
- Allows you to move your shelter from hole to hole easily
- Comes with a comfortable seat that folds down for convenience
- Easy to zip door to save from flipping tent when exiting
- Includes large pockets inside to store your extra gear and personal items
- Includes windows for a clear view of what’s going on around you
- Insulated to keep the heat in
- Made by Frabill™ who has been making fishing gear since 1938
- Made from high-quality materials
Summary: This is the sled for the hard-core, no-nonsense kind of fisherman or woman. If you just want to grab a lawn chair, auger, tilts, and some bait then this is the sled for you. Keep it simple with this super durable extra-large sled built to be pulled through the roughest winter conditions.
Features of this no-nonsense product include:
- Designed to withstand being pulled through ice and snow
- Extra-large capacity so you can fit everything in one trip
- Made from extra strong polyethylene material
Summary: This is the same deal as the sled mentioned directly above; however, it is a little fancier in that it comes with a convenient camouflage cover to protect your gear and keep it in the sled during travel.
Additional features of this handy product include:
- Can hold all of your gear and protect it from the elements
- Constructed with durable polyethylene material
- Molded runners for extra durability and gliding through the ice and snow
Summary: Better yet, if you are the adventurous type who likes to travel by ATV or Snowmobile then this handy contraption is for you. This tow hitch mount allows you to tow your sled or portable shanty anywhere you want to go.
Additional features of this product include:
- Can use with anything that has a tow hitch
- Designed to withstand bumpy terrain and quick turns with multiple pivot points
- Made from high-quality materials to last for a long time
- Quick-release pins for easy removal when not in use
- Universal hitch for all types of ice fishing sleds and portable shelters
How to Pack a Sled for Ice Fishing
Let the Sled Do the Work
Now that you have seen some great options for ice fishing sleds, you can find one that fits your style. Save your back from carrying all of that heavy gear. Make sure it also has room for all of the fish you are going to catch.
Other Great Outdoor Related Articles
Top Camping Experiences Around Great Sand Dunes National Park￼
Many people think to see breathtaking wonders they must travel abroad when all they really need to do is explore the land in front of …
Epic Summer Activities To Do In Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Summertime is fast approaching, and you want to find a vacation location that has something for everyone. With over 2.5 million acres of protected forest …
The 5 Best Places to Camp Near Cortez, Colorado
It is no secret that Colorado’s natural beauty has attracted people from all over the globe. With so much to do and see, it can …
6 Amazing Camping Options Near Telluride Colorado: A Helpful Guide
If you are looking for a great camping experience near Telluride, Colorado, you have come to the right place. Telluride is a camping and outdoor …
Camping Chairs for Toddlers: Are They Worth it?
Camping with the whole family can be great fun, especially when there are little ones running around adding to the excitement. But what happens when …
5 Tips For The Perfect Your Solar Shower While Camping
There is nothing better than sleeping in the wilderness; waking up to the sounds of the birds and critters scampering around the forest floor. You …
7 thoughts on “The 5 Best Ice Fishing Sleds – A Helpful Guide”
Pingback: Snowshoeing and Hip Pain: A Helpful Guide - Best Life Outside
Pingback: The Best Food to Take Hiking for a Trailside lunch - Best Life Outside
Pingback: 7 Tips For Easy Ice Drilling With A Manual Ice Auger - Best Life Outside
Pingback: How Much Does a Fishing License Cost? - A Helpful State By State Guide - Best Life Outside
Pingback: The 5 Best Places to Ice Fish Near Duluth MN - Best Life Outside
Pingback: 5 Great Places to Ice Fish in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Best Life Outside
Pingback: The 5 Best Places to Ice Fish in Washington - Best Life Outside